Follow us on: Call us today: 0845 050 7928

Advanced Payroll Services

Illegal workers

Right to Work:

When someone is employed by a company they have to prove they have the right to work in the UK. In order to not discriminate against anyone, employers or your payroll services provider should ask everyone to provide this evidence. Examples of this evidence are a passport, national identity card, residence permit or a birth certificate. There are many more acceptable forms of identification. If you would like more information on this please contact us.
There are also documents which will give evidence that an employee has been granted leave to enter or remain in the UK for a limited period, or has restrictions on their ability to take employment. In these cases an employer or your payroll services provider must continue to make regular checks to ensure the employee remains eligible to work in the UK.
If they are not a British citizen or a European Economic Area (EEA) citizen, or a Swiss national, they may need a visa before they can visit the UK. Having a visa does not always mean they can work in the UK. If the visa says 'prohibited' on it they will need a work permit to work in the UK. They can't apply for a permit themselves – their employer in the UK has to apply for them. How long their permit lasts depends on the work they do and the type of permit.
If an employer hires someone illegally they can face a £10 000 fine per employee who is working illegally. Please ask your payroll services provider for advice.

European Nationals:

If an employee is from within the European Economic Area (EEA) or a Swiss national, they do not need to apply for permission to work in the UK. They would only need to apply for permission if they are from Bulgaria or Romania. This can be obtained from the UK Border Agency. If they are a citizen of one of the new European Union states (Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia) and they want to work for a UK employer, they usually need to register with the Home Office UKBA under the 'Worker Registration Scheme' within one month of taking up a job. If you you need further advice or any other advice on payroll services please don't hesitate to contact us at advanced payroll services.


Posted in General on 24/11/2011

Site by NetSells